she spreads her love

Friday, January 08, 2010

More?

I remembered a few resolution ideas I had been toying with that I forgot when I made my first posted list (get more sleep/stick to a regular sleep schedule, stop biting my nails, bake a different/new cookie each month), and I considered adding them, but then stopped to wonder if that was taking things a little too far and cheapening the idea of New Year's Resolutions by "having" so many.  I feel like "make a New Year's Resolution" has turned into "make a laundry list of everything about me I'd like to change, and make it all happen THIS year."  My husband laughs at how often I say, "I'm going to do this, and this, and this, and this" when we both know there's no way to accomplish all I set out to do in the time I have to do it.  Sure, it's easy for me to integrate new recipes into my weekly menu planning, or pick a new cookie to bake instead of always making chocolate chip, but at what point does it become counterproductive for me to try and focus on making so many changes in a short period of time? 

I know one of my biggest struggles in following through with most (if not all) of my resolutions will be fighting discouragement when I don't make all of the changes in the first two weeks of this year, and letting them slide.  I've been fighting my "all or nothing" tendencies for quite awhile, and need to remind myself it's better to do something small, or not entirely all the way, than nothing at all.  Perhaps I should try to break my lovely list into more manageable chunks (resolution of the month, of the quarter) to avoid becoming overwhelmed.  I wonder what would be the best way to divide and conquer. Hmmm...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

so 43things.com lets me set challenges, get reminder emails, and best of all, the support of other people who have the same goals. it's not just a list of resolutions as the front page makes it look right now.

clearly i'm a data junkie, as i love any website that lets me track and gather data about something like number of goals completed during a year.

18:28  
Blogger Erin said...

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out! Thanks :-)

19:40  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home